Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Karioconcertke


When I found out Air Supply was going to be at the Hard Rock Biloxi--I secretly hoped to go but then I didn't think anyone would want to go with me. Jim would not be caught going to that concert. So when Sue mentioned an interest in going to the concert, I jumped and said "let's go!" Sue was very curious about the demographics of the concert goers. I had to relive the 80's again without the angst of a first breakup.So we're thinking, we'll be with a bunch of middle aged fans probably mostly women. Were we wrong! First the place was packed--more packed than the Gipsy Kings concert Maribel and I attended a couple of months ago. The age range--14year old teens - 65 something retirees. And there were about equal number of men in the audience and they didn't look like they were forced into going by their wives or girlfriends!! They were singing along! Not just them, the whole place was singing along. It was one huge karioke fest!! The scary part, I sang the whole concert as well . Who knew I knew all the words but then again back in the 80s when Bradford Lipetz broke my heart (hu hu hu), I'd gather up my Air Supply cassette tapes and play them over and over again--nothin' like a good cry back then. Though the resulting swollen mole people eyes afterwards was no fun. But I knew someday I would look back and laugh at that crying fest. And sure enough, on Friday night I laughed and sang the whole night. Graham and Russell sang pretty well for a couple of middle aged soft rockers. Russell's black crazy hair is gone replaced by what I thought was blond hair but Sue pointed out that it was white and straightened. He still wears the funky outfits but more tattoos. Graham looks a little older--not surgically enhanced either. And only that night did I realize he's a left handed guitarist. The rest of the band, (new members) keyboardist, drummer and bass guitarist were all eye candy!! I'm not kidding! Hmmm..I wonder perhaps the reason for the younger crowd.
Sue and John were worried that I'd go into labor. I was only standing on top of the chair for half of the concert...plus I took my shoes off. Barefeet and pregnant but not in the kitchen! It was a fun night! I forgot the aches and pains of carrying a big baby but it took me three days to recoup because the following day all the aches came back. But hey! it's better than the achy breaky heartache of the 80s.

2 comments:

Reyes Family California said...

Nice one NE! I remember you playing air supply when I was a little kid still watching GI JOE.
Time Flies so fast!
Tony

Jenni B. said...

Oh bummer, wish I was back in town for that. Steve always makes fun of me that I listen to my Air Supply CD while driving, it puts him to sleep but I just sing at the top of my lungs.